Wednesday, October 10, 2012

THE EYES OF AN EAGLE II


It was a sunny day when we left for Ekiti. I had told Ola I was going with Mum for a wedding in our hometown. He had murmured something about taking Yvonne to my sister's place before I left. Lara, my only sister lived on the other side of Lagos. I hate dropping my daughter with her because she picks up bad manners every weekend she spends with her. I am three years older than Lara and we have nothing in common. Dad used to call her the prodigal daughter. She dropped out of school after three years and even when Dad set up a business for her, she said it was too much work. Lara however was Mum’s favorite……..the one she pampers and doted on. I had no choice but to drop Yvonne with Lara, it was a better option than being involved in one of the many Lagos housegirl/nanny horror tales 


“Yeeee........” I screamed.
Mum looked back from her bike and shouted at me...
“What is it Temi?”
“Mum, these potholes are breaking my waist and this bike man is not driving carefully at all.”
Mum did her legendary "hmmnnnnmm” and told me “sorry”.
We were on our way to “Baba's” place. I had left my car at the junction after paying a boy Five hundred Naira to watch it, I thought it was outrageous but Mum said it was cheap. Mum said we had to take a bike from there because the road was not motorable. I hate bikes……….a lot so Mum thought my complains were because of my pronounced hatred for bikes and not because I was feeling uncomfortable.
Mum always thought I was the spoilt one. She blamed Dad for pampering me so much.....she blamed me every time something went wrong, always saying I messed it up with my "spoilt" life. Mum had strongly kicked against it when Dad was about sending me abroad to study, saying it would make me more "big headed" but Dad had sent me anyway and when I came back Mum had sworn I wouldn’t get a husband………………not with my uncultured way of life. When I brought Ola home, she was surprised and immediately told Ola how I’ll soon be bossing him around but he had stayed anyway and we had lived happily.......until now.
"Are we not there yet?” I shouted again.
Mum didn’t even answer me this time. She just pointed at the big tree in the distance.
"Mum!! Are we going to meet a tree?”
"Shut up Temi. You don’t talk much around here"
"But Mum, you said we were coming to meet “Baba”"
I’m sure Mum would have slapped me then if she had been close enough. She gave me her "shut the hell up" look and faced away.
The bike men stopped and I was partially grateful because my legs were killing me already. I jumped down from the bike before protesting that we were not at the tree yet. Mum paid the bike men while explaining that we had to trek the rest of the "sacred land".
I was too tired and angry to argue, I just hoped the visit would be worth it and followed Mum as she made her way down the narrow path. I had to swat flies away with my bag a thousand times. The smell was horrible.........it was like lots of animals or humans died and decayed thereby giving the flies a merry gathering.
“Mum, Mum......why did you bring me to this kind of place?”
“Is it not for your own good?” Mum asked with unmasked disdain.
I swallowed hard and put my hands on my ears; even that did little to reduce the noise of the flies.
We finally got to the foot of the tree and Mum started a dramatic dance. Before I could decide if she was alright or not she started singing....
"o ye gods of the earth, o ye princes of the trees, I hail thee....."
I stood watching her, my jaw open and my eyes popping out 
****Tomorrow is my birthday!! Please don't forget to forward all gifts, cakes and cards. Thank you. Shoutout to Chinny, Honeydame, Che, Sisi Yemmie, 9ja great, PET project and all October babies. We ROCK!

34 comments:

dayor said...

Hahahahahahaha, this is totally a different twist...the mum na the baba gan gan

Now we have to wait again. Nice one!

Happy birthday in advance dear

gretel said...

That story got me.
Happy birthday,the Lord bless you mightily. <3

Anonymous said...

First time on your blog,nice
Happy birthday!
http://trendysturvs.blogspot.com

Toinlicious said...

Happy birthday sweetie!

Please hurry with the continuation asap :)

Priscy said...

her mum na winch o, which kind mum be this na? chei! now suspense wan kill me sef, when is the continuation abeg?

Happy birthday girl... who the Lord has blessed is blessed, you are blessed indeed. best wishes!

A-9ja-Great said...

As usual,i was captivated.I actually like this very story.Hope you'll continue o?!

Happy birthday once more! *hugz*

F.O. said...

Happy Birthday, Lue... Have a swell one...

001 said...

Happy birthday lue!

Blogoratti said...

Picturing the mother actually doing the dramatic dance...yeah that got me rolling.
Happy Birthday, wish you more of everything-peace, love & happiness always!

Janyl Benyl said...

I can't believe I missed your birthday. So so sorry dear, And you share the same birthday with my mum.
Happy belated wishes sweetheart xo

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!!! So Mama is Baba?!?! Lol

Anonymous said...

Good to be visiting your weblog once far more, it continues to be months for me. Nicely this post that i've been waited for so lengthy. I want this article to total my assignment in the university, and it has very same topic together along with your post. Thanks, terrific share.

Anonymous said...

wow, this one is good, gonna use for another sport but i think it'll be just as good, BIG thanks :)

Luciano said...

dayor, lol. thanks a lot dear.
gretel, amen. thank you
Trendysturvs, thanks for dropping by
Toin, thank you. Yes ma'am
Priscy, haha, very soon. Thank you so much dear, God bless you.
9jagreat, i will definitely continue. thanks
Da injurer, thank you
Tamie, thanks
blogoratti, thanks a lot and thanks for dropping by
@MsJB, no probs dear. Really? thats soooo cool
Mstizzle, lol...i no know o. thank you
Anons, thank you

Becqui Nicholas said...

Happy belated birthday dear and yes,we October babies rock*lol*. mine's on d 28th tho.. Hmmm this story is becoming more interesting oo,hope u'll continue it..

Mamuje said...

Happy belated Birthday dear.

I am waiting for the next post ;)

sugarspring said...

Awww...I missed ur birthdae bt aanywayz..happy birthday to uuuuu lucy!!!!wishing u d best in life..
And as fr ur twist...ummm....

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciate all the info I've read here. I will spread the word about your blog to other people. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

No pressure but part 3 da?

Anonymous said...

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again

cee said...

Loool. Nice and funny story! Reminded me of a scene in the Sandra Bullock movie "The Proposal". The grandma dancing and chanting to the gods of the earth and mother nature.

Happy Birthday in arrears! i hope you had a great day filled with love and laughter! Cheers to many more!

Aseni said...

its been a while since i've been on here! I sure do miss reading here! hopefully i'll be chanced to read more!

Anonymous said...

*cough cough*

Afronuts said...

This is fiction right? Or did this actually happen to you? Either way you write well Luciano...caught my attention all the way through...and I like the way you gave life to the characters and made them believable...that is if this is really fiction oh!

Docia said...

Is this fiction or real-life story. Hope you could put it in a movie. I can't wait to read the conclusion.

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Blessings......and happy birthday.
Sound like Mum is a little envious of her daughters ability to adapt, learn and excel and though she is proud of her she cant get the envy out from her eyes and throat long enough to say it.

stay blessed.
rhapsody

Adura Ojo said...

Hope you had a fab bday. Hmmm...a story with many layers.

Blessing said...

Happy Belated Birthday love!

Anonymous said...

Nice story....bt still waiting 4 the concluding part of d story.

Geebee said...

I began the story at Part 3 but I've finally read 1 and 2. Awesome read and nice suspense... My specialty. I also dish it out well on the series I'm doing a series on my blog.

Happy belated birthday!

Strong Self said...

"...it was like lots of animals or humans died and decayed thereby giving the flies a merry gathering."

Those are my favourite lines, I am running off to the third part now. The suspense is high, fellow blogger.

www.josephomotayo.blogspot.com

Che said...

I know this is coming very late, but HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY sweets. I'm sure you had a wonderful celebration. Yep, we October kids rock.

You are such a gifted writer. I read the part 3 first and quickly scrolled down to read the first two parts.

Keep writing and we would keep coming back to read.

*hugs*

charles said...

Nice one luciano!

Pawners Paper said...

This is quite interesting and captivating
https://www.pawnerspaper.com/2021/10/biyi-bandele-shares-some-interesting.html
https://www.pawnerspaper.com/2021/10/tales-from-moonlit-path-halloween.html
https://www.pawnerspaper.com/2021/09/2021-vi-international-flash-fiction.html
https://www.pawnerspaper.com/2021/09/the-brunel-international-african-prize.html